- Articles for review (before publishing)
GMS Account Management
Edit account details
- Communication preferences
- What is my personal profile?
- GMS Data Management - Updating player email addresses
- How do I update details against a child record that has an active registration?
- Unique Email Addresses in GMS
- Account Verification
- How do I edit my account/personal profile details?
- Can't edit/enter medical conditions or emergency contact boxes in the Player Registration Form
- How do I join organisations?
- How do I update invalid or incomplete records?
- How do I change or move clubs?
- How do I add self service qualifications?
- Edit account details
Club Business Operations
- How do I use Voucher Codes to purchase coaching courses for members?
- Can we buy discounted rugby products from the RFU?
- Who can I speak to about VAT matters for my rugby club?
- Voucher codes - purchasing for another organisation
- Do you have resources to help us promote rugby at our club?
- Where can I get guidance on legal matters related to the running of my club?
- Can we get a discount to show Sky TV in our club?
- What VAT rate should apply to my club's energy bills?
- What activities and opportunities does the RFU have for the Rugby World Cup 2025?
- Can the RFU help with the cost of living to reduce our energy and operating costs?
- How do we run our bar efficiently and cost effectively?
- Do the RFU arranged policies provide cover for loss of revenue?
- How do we run a successful rugby event?
- What are the items that should be included in a rugby club's accounts?
- How do I create a budget for a rugby club?
- What guidance is there for matters relating to the licensing of rugby club premises?
Club Governance & Management
- What is GMS?
- What do we need to do in the GMS at the start of the season?
- How do I add a group function?
- Pulling Reports from an Organisation Profile for Club Admins
- How do we receive an International Ticket Allocation?
- How do I set up a new rugby club?
- What are golden roles and how do I allocate them?
- Custom tags
- Club Admin – Reports for registered players
- How does our club complete a risk assessment?
- Where can I get help and guidance on compliance with data protection requirements?
- Where can clubs find other useful and relevant information?
- Where can I find more information about club incorporation?
- Where can our club get legal advice and support?
- Does the RFU arranged policies provide for loss of income, property or Tours insurance?
- How does the RFU support wheelchair rugby?
- Where can I get help and guidance on how to make our club even more inclusive?
- How does our club sign up to The Touch Union?
- How do I run/export a report?
- Where can our club get advice and support on tax?
- What insurance cover does the RFU provide to the game?
- How can I find out more about becoming a CASC?
- What things do we need to think about to ensure an effective committee meeting?
Facilities & Pitches
- Who can I contact to talk about my rugby club facilities?
- Want to book an RFU artificial grass pitch?
- What are the minimum dimensions of a rugby pitch?
- How do I get involved with Rugby Grounds Connected?
- What should we do if our facilities flood due to extreme weather?
- Does the RFU provide guidance on developing a clubhouse?
- Where can I find guidance on Pitch Risk Assessments and managing pitches in drought conditions?
- What are the RFU standards for changing room sizes and layouts?
- How can we manage our facilities in order to minimise the impact of drought conditions?
- How can we manage our facilities in order to minimise the impact of a flooding event?
- Guidance on floodlights for clubs
- Promotional offers for club facilities
- What can we do to recognise our volunteers?
- How do we make it easy and attractive for people to volunteer?
- Is there a minimum age for the Rugby Leaders Network?
- Can you provide further details on the modules on offer on the Rugby Leaders Network?
- How can we ensure that new volunteers feel welcome?
- We’re looking to recruit a new volunteer, are there template role descriptions available?
- I can't attend a couple of the sessions for the Rugby Leaders Network, should I still apply?
- Where can I find a job description for a rugby Club Treasurer?
- We’re looking to recruit more volunteers. How can we do this?
Marketing & Communications
- Club Admin - Email Affiliation Template
- Where can I access Community Game Updates?
- Not Receiving Emails/Email Provider
- How To Send An Email from GMS - Email Builder
- How To Create A Club Website
- Email Health Status - Healthy, Missing, Unverified and Duplicate
- How do I make sure I receive the Community Game Updates (CGU)?
- How to access Club Website to edit content
- How do I receive the Community Game Updates (CGU) if I am not one of the three key roles?
- How can we use social media to promote and run our club?
Memberships & Payments
- How To Create Membership Schemes
- How do I create an event?
- How to Process a Refund
- How do I buy memberships?
- How do I update a direct debit mandate or reschedule failed/cancelled direct debit payments?
- Buying memberships or creating a payment order – club admin
- Buying an event in GMS
- How do I get a receipt for my voucher code?
- Settlement batch revenue analysis
- Buying an event as an administrator
- How do I set up a membership scheme and online payment system?
Rules & Regulations
- Payment of Players FAQs
- What is Regulation 7?
- Where can I find the RFU Regulations?
- Step by step guide to submit a club declaration for Payment of Players via GMS
- What is Regulation 1?
- Where can I find further information to assist with compliance of Regulation 7?
- Who has to complete the Payment of Player declaration?
- What are defined as RFU benefits?
- What is Regulation 3?
- *NEW* Code of Conduct template
- What is Regulation 2?
Safeguarding & Player Welfare
- Retrieving emergency contact details
- How to complete the Club Safeguarding Audit in GMS - 2023
- How to apply for a DBS
- How do I get help for an injured player?
- How do I report an Injury / what injuries do I need to report?
- What is the current guidance for First Aid Provision?
- How do I book onto an Emergency First Aid In Rugby Union course?
- What is RugbySafe?
- How do I order Headcase Resources?
- Can I organise a Play it Safe safeguarding course at my club?
- 17yr and 18yr old Age Grade and Adult Players
- How do I manage player registration/affiliation as a Club Administrator?
- Registering adult players in Player Registration v12
- GMS New reporting tools and new features to support Club Administrators Season 22/23
- Player Management Module
- Player Registrations Report in GMS
- Create Player Cards within GMS
- How to make a player 'Effectively Registered'
- Club Admin – Online Age Grade self-registration
- GMS; Age Grade Registration Club Top Tips
- Walking Rugby and ‘Non-Registered’ Players
- Improving options for Age Grade Registration in GMS
- Club Business Operations
Coaches & Match Officials
- What are the current Age Grade Regulations?
- What are the rules on Age Grade players playing out of their Age Grade?
- Individual Age Grade Players Playing Up or Down
- Girls' age bandings
- What activity is allowed out-of-season in Summer 2023?
- What are the regulations for the Age Grade game? When will any changes for next season come in?
- What are the Girls Age Banding changes for 2022-23?
- Where can I find the Age Grade Codes of Practice?
Amend a course booking
- Who should I notify if I have specific mobility / learning requirements?
- Missing Qualifications/Education/Headcase Courses
- Can I transfer to a different course?
- I booked for a family member by mistake, how do I amend this?
- How do I contact the course leader prior to the course?
- I'm unable to attend both days of my course, do I have to complete the whole course?
Book a course
- How do I book a course?
- How do I book onto a coaching course?
- When will I receive information about the course I've booked?
- How do I book onto a refereeing course?
- Can’t book/add to basket for Course despite spaces showing
- How do I use Voucher Codes when booking a course? Course Participant User Guide
- How do I get a receipt for my booking?
- If someone else booked the course for me, how do I transfer it to my record?
- Why is my Headcase / Safeguarding / Tacklesafe e-learning not showing on my GMS profile?
- How do I book onto an England Rugby Advanced Coaching Award (previously Level 3 coaching) course?
- How do I book onto a Director of Rugby course?
- Can I add other coaches at the club to my booking?
- How do I find and book the headcase e-learning course?
- How do I find and book the Introduction to Safeguarding e-learning course?
- How do I book onto an England Rugby Coaching Award course?
- How do I book onto an England Rugby Mentoring Award course?
- How do I book onto a Kids First Tag Rugby course?
- How do I book onto a Kids First Contact Rugby course?
- How do I book onto an Introduction to Refereeing course?
- How do I book onto an England Rugby Refereeing Award course?
- How do I book onto an England Rugby Performance Coaching Award course?
- How do I book onto a Play It Safe course?
- What do I do if I need specific support to participate in an RFU training course?
- Age Grade
Players & Parents
- How can my club support a local wheelchair rugby club?
- How can I find out more about starting a wheelchair rugby section at my club?
- What is Wheelchair Rugby?
- Where can we learn more about The Touch Union?
- What opportunities are there for adult and junior wheelchair users in the sport?
- How can I find my local rugby Club?
- Playing Rugby
Team & Match Managers
Competitions & friendlies
- Matches Against Non-English Teams Or Cross Union Matches
- Why can’t I change the status of a fixture?
- Accessing EMC in Competition Management module
- FAQ’s Manually Entered Fixtures
- Assigning Players to Teams
- How to 'Unarchive' Teams
- New Girls Age Banding
- How to create and edit the status of a fixture.
- How to add a new team
- What is the Future Competition Structure for 2022/23 and why has it changed?
- Accessing Electronic Match Card Data as a Club Administrator
- How to Archive a Team
Match day requirements
- Coach/Team Manager Cannot View Or Edit Team
- Electronic Match Card - how to get help
- Electronic Match Card Top Tips and Advantages
- Electronic Match Card Step by Step guides for Mobile and Desktop versions
- Can't Select a Non-Effectively Registered (NER) player on Electronic Match Card
- Cannot Access The Electronic Match Card
- Electronic Match Card Frequently Asked Questions
- Recording of Suspected Concussion in EMC
- Why Can I Not See A Player in My Line-up on EMC?
- Competitions & friendlies
- Constituent Bodies & RFU Council
GMS; Age Grade Registration Club Top Tips
Modified on Fri, 25 Aug 2023 at 12:23 PM
Team Manager spends small amount of time with Key GMS person at the club to understand how the system works. Each TM then has the ability to manage their own squad.
Information cascaded straight out across the club so that it's not one person it's on everyone. In September we had drop-in sessions to help anyone that needs it. Also bench outside clubhouse to support parents with any questions.
Club administrators visible to support us. Strong messaging that you need to do this.
Example of key messaging ' This is not for us to register your player it's your player that needs to be registered to us; parents / guardians need to update the information accordingly.'
Implement a club enforced strict registration deadline, enforced from top to the bottom and everyone is aware.
If parents are stuck or unsure the club are supporting where they can. We spent a lot of time looking at frequent issues and made some short quick videos to support Team Managers and parents.
- Preparation who is your key GMS person?
- Are your Team Managers up to date and understand what they need to do and cascade?
- Make sure that parents know what they need to do and utilise the support guides available as well.
- Make sure that parents keep their information up to date.
We are a large club with circa 800 plus kids.
We have adopted a waterfall approach and got full buy in from all at the club allowing flexibility for club admins to push this how they see fit within their age groups.
Great success so far especially with club admins who have taken a hard-line approach to it.
As a club we have pointed out that it is a point of compliance and it is regulation.
We have set strict deadlines to get people done and complete.
We want to move to collecting membership in the system so encouraging parents to also see a benefit of doing this for the future as well.
We did a bit of work beforehand ensuring peoples data was as up to date as possible.
We encourage people to raise tickets with the GMS service desk who respond quickly to support any issues.
We have also ensured that Club Admins have the knowledge to support and help.
We found other sports are doing this and in Football It is commonplace with even more detail required. This is a once in a generation switch over and we think people will become used to it.
Our Top Tips
- We operated a Water fall effect within the club.
- We first sought a session from a GMS Support Trainer to help understanding of how to use GMS. This allowed me to help the rest of the club to ensure data was updated .
- All Age Grade Admins have registrar permission level 3 so that admins can try and fix issue themselves if we can’t do in house then we get them to submit a help ticket via the help portal.
- The club admins support parents in completing the registration if they get stuck.
Two things to Prioritise
- Someone in your club who is really fluent in how GMS works. Utilise the help guides videos potentially a GMS Support Trainer if needed.
- Stay really positive it is not a forever challenge it’s a once in a generation switch which as admins you can see a really clear level of transparency for all information and consolidation in one place.
Still need help? Submit a Help Request
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article